This transformation of a housing, which dates from the 1930's, formed part of a series of five dwellings designed as a whole by the same architect.
Behind the unchanged facade, the building was dismantled and completely restyled. The goal of this radical transformation was to introduce light and space into this narrow house.
The project starts from two major options; the construction of spaces along a horizontal axis and connecting the entry with the gate of the garden. The opening along this axis makes it possible to feel the intensity of this depth. The position of the staircase against the partition wall uses the maximum space available. On the other hand, the central atrium, bordering on the living area on the first floor, is in contrast with this horizontal approach.
This three-storey high space with cupola acts as luminous hinge for surrounding spaces. By opening the rear facade completely and by using part of the garden as a room, the living area is extended remarkably. This transparency ensures a relation between spaces and their various functions. The whole of these interventions constitutes a play of light, space, and mass.